[OSM-dev] Develop a Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile Phones

Zhijie Shen zjshen14 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:20:29 GMT 2011

Hi everyone,

I think I need to make some clarification here. Actually, in the past two
days, some students who want to participant in GSoC sent email to me to show
their interest in the idea "Develop a Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile
Phones". I'm sorry to not have reply immediately. Here I must clarify
something:

1. I'm very glad to meet the students that are also interested in location
based service on mobile phone here. It will be nice if we can discuss the
mobile application development here.
2. Yes, I posted the idea, but I'm a student as well, and cannot be the
mentor. In fact, I wrote the idea because I want to apply for GSoC with it.
I also wish there will be some mentors here that are willing to guide the
mobile application development.
3. I used the title of the idea proposed in the last year. However, this
idea hasn't much relationship with what I proposed. Mine is quite related to
my current research work. Hence who are interested in building mobile
application with OSM doesn't need to follow my idea.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding I've brought about. Wish these words
explain myself well.

Regards,
Zhijie

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Yarik <Iaroslav.Sheptykin at hs-bremen.de>wrote:

> Dear all!
>
>        I am new to the developers list so lemme first introduce myself.
>        My name is Yarik. I am 24. Study Digital Media at HS Bremen /
>        Bremerhaven. The main topic of my studies are location based
>        mobile games (like Foursquare). Currently I am writing my thesis
>        about landmark identification using these sort of games.
>
>        I am considering myself more of a programmer, therefore
>        development of osm interests me for quite a long time. But SoC
>        actually did the magic kick and led me to the page with
>        implementation ideas.
>        Checking those ideas out I have found an idea to "Develop a
>        Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile Phones". Mostly because of rich
>        previous experience, I find it very interesting and would love
>        to work on a tool like that within our outside of the SoC.
>        Unfortunately I'm a newbie to osm and therefore I cannot judge
>        myself the importance of this sort of tool for the osm
>        community. Do we really need it? I have seen similar efforts
>        from the last SoC.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010/AcceptedProjects/AndroidPOICollector
>
>        Did they fail? Does it need to be further developed?
>        I have also seen several other tools with similar functionality.
>        How do you think does it make sense to keep up with the
>        investigation of those and submitting the solution idea?
>
> Thanks
> Yarik

Zhijie Shen
School of Computing