[OSM-dev] Develop a Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile Phones

Yarik Iaroslav.Sheptykin at hs-bremen.de
Thu Mar 24 10:08:19 GMT 2011

Hi Nic!

> No, I haven't looked at it.

        I have just checked it out. Doesn't seem much. It is a trivial
        web based app. They are using phonegap for interfacing platform
        API, therefore it is not a native Android application. phonegap
        has API for accessing camera, PGS sensor and compass, though, so
        the further development of this project could be considered.

> But in the short term there is no image processing necessary. Simply
> show the user a crosshair. He can then take multiple "shots" of an
> object to collect it's height and location.

        I trust you that for this particular application no image
        processing is required. I am not familiar that much with the
        triangulation process. Nevertheless it could be interesting to
        have a look into http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/Android in
        order to support the "long term" ideas. This though is not a
        part of phonegap therefore requires a navtive app or the
        processing must take place on a server.

        You have offered help in triangulation in one of the prev
        emails. A couple links would be awesome for a quick
        initialization. Thanks in advance!

Greets,
Yarik