[OSM-dev] Develop a Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile Phones

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:22:36 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Yarik <Iaroslav.Sheptykin at hs-bremen.de> wrote:
> Hi Nic!
>
>        Great to hear! I has been thinking of building a tool like that
>        for quite a long time already with slightly different
>        functionality than you describe but still very similar. I wrote
>        already that I worked on location based mobile games. In many
>        games players are encouraged to take pictures of different
>        objects. The challenge I always faced in data analyzes was to
>        extract any useful information out of those pics about features
>        (landmarks in particular). You offer an interesting approach. Do
>        you know anything about the last year SoC project? Would it make
>        sense to extend its achievements?

No, I haven't looked at it.

>        Since you say such apps are useful for community, I will develop
>        the idea further. I will also try to apply to SoC this year. But
>        even in case I fail I would be interested in the development.
>        Are you going to apply for SoC too / mentoring?

I'm not going to apply for SoC.

I'd be happy to informally mentor anyone developing software to
process sensor and GPS data. I built up a little bit of experience
with my KeypadMapper project, as well as porting Gosmore to Android.

In the long term (i.e. not this year) it would be nice to detect logos
(trademarks), perhaps do OCR or even photosynth type survey.

But in the short term there is no image processing necessary. Simply
show the user a crosshair. He can then take multiple "shots" of an
object to collect it's height and location.