[OSM-dev] Tirex and postgres seem to become disconnected

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:59:46 GMT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 16:32 +0000, Stephen Westrip wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I posted an entry a while ago asking for help regarding the rendering
> of high detail tiles that always timed out. I got some helpful advice
> and I have done some further investigation it looks like the Postgres
> process, which is on a separate server, get disconnected from the
> Tirex process before either has timed out. What I am seeing is the
> Postgres processes on the database server running for many minutes and
> the Tirex processes on the rendering server timing out after 10
> minutes (the default in tirex.conf). It also looks like the Postgres
> process, before the Tirex process times out, disconnects from the
> Tirex process.
>

> What all this means is that I cannot render any tiles from levels 1-12
> and that the database server gets very overloaded with Postgres
> processes. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this
> and more importantly does anyone know how to fix it!!?

Some possibilities:
- Is postgresql "statement_timeout" set?
- Is there a firewall configured on either host? This might be dropping
the connection due to inactivity. Try setting the postgresql
'tcp_keepalives_idle=300' which should make it send a keepalive packet
every 5 minutes (or maybe try something even smaller).

   Jon