[OSM-dev] Multiple instances of Renderd?

Stephan Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 30 12:29:04 BST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:21:23PM +0100, Jason Lee wrote:
> Regarding multiple instances, I am just thinking in terms of performance and
> stability. If I had 2 instances of renderd and one error's for whatever
> reason, then at least it is not affecting the other service.
I just haven't tried it. But actually I'd be interested too, so every user
(who share one database) could have their own styles with their own
renderd.

> Also, if both renderd daemons were serving the same maps (on the same
> machine) and the same tile_dir, is it more efficient than if there was just
> 1 instance running (or no difference)?
I doubt it. I see problems with conflicts (several renderds rendering the
same tile simultanously). The bottleneck, as I experienced it, is the
I/O-subsystem in the machine for the database queries. Anyway renderd is
multi-threaded, so just add more threads if your cpus are bored (and it's
not the I/O-subsystem which eats performance).

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich