[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Thu May 5 20:16:00 BST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Leaving morality aside for a moment, I wonder what the attribution
> requirement actually is in that situation. Say you make an Android app that
> has no built-in tile sources but if you enter an URL in some text box it
> will try to load tiles from there.

Leaving legality, morality and attribution aside, the application still
doesn't properly identify itself when contacting any server and performs
actions which the developer knows very well is not considered a good
practice.

He also gives explicit instructions on how to scrape certain 3rd party
servers, with concrete URLs and all:
http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45

Igor