[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Thu May 5 20:33:38 BST 2011

There are legitimate cases when an app would want to provide customizable
URLs for tile access - for example if the user wants to use his own tile
server. The problem with the current situation is that the client app cannot
really tell which is which.

One way to solve this would be for all the public tile servers to have a
simple text file (something like robots.txt) describing the tile usage
policy in a machine-readable way, like:
max-threads : 2
min-cache-duration : 7d
max-tiles-per-sec : 0.5

A responsible client app would not allow mass downloading from a server if
it encountered such a file, even if the user entered its own URL.

Igor