[OSM-dev] Something wrong with the renderer?

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:44:25 BST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Igor Brejc <igor.brejc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/5/5 Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com>:
>>
>> What about changing the tile urls frequently? This could be automated
>> and synchronized with the start page and would stop those apps quite
>> fast (at least until they start making the urls in their app dynamic
>> and synchronize as well).
>

> That would punish everyone, even those apps that adhere to the policy. I see
> no reason to prevent access to an app which just mimics the browser and
> shows a limited map area, uses throttling and caches those tiles for more
> than a week.
> Besides, this would not really help OSM spread its word. I'm sure there are
> better ways of dealing with offenders.

We could encourage all 3rd party websites and apps to get their tiles
from commercial providers. As I explained in a previous post, placing
the occasional advertisement on a map can have significant economic
benefits.

I see a lot of similarities between serving tiles and hosting Internet
sites: Some of them are add supported (Geocities). Some of them are
little sole proprietor operations being run a garage. Some focus on
reliability (pair) and others on scalability / variety / flexibility
(Amazon).