[OSM-dev] visible-Flag in PBF

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Sun May 8 21:10:27 BST 2011

Am Freitag, den 06.05.2011, 23:01 -0500 schrieb Scott Crosby:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Scott Crosby <scott at sacrosby.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes. If you want to create an incompatable hpbf (History PBF) format that is
> > very similar to the existing PBF format. Encode the visible flag into the
> > protocol buffers along the lines of Jochen's suggested patch, with a few
> > small tweaks. Existing pbf code can support the new format with very minor
> > changes. This would be an incompatible change because it is impossible to
> > telling existing software to ignore nodes whose visibility is 'no'. They're
> > there, and will be read. You'll need to indicate these files with a new
> > required_features = "InvisibleFlag", and conforming software will reject the
> > file.
> >

> I would like to elaborate on why this is incompatible. Its not because
> existing PBF parsers won't be able to parse HPBF files. They will, and
> they'd ignore the extra field indicating invisibility. But, as they
> won't interpret the data correctly, I have to force the
> incompatibility.

Yes, now I see this. I'll go that route, creating an
incompatible .osmh.pbf format.

I'll dop the implementation in osmium. osmosis is not able to handle
history information anyway (none of the tasks are), so i guess it will
be incompatible for now, but I'm working on a history tool suite
(splitter, importer, renderer) that will support it.

Peter