[OSM-dev] Filename extensions for OSM files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 10 19:26:44 BST 2011

Hi,

Jochen Topf wrote:
> As we are starting to use the full history dumps more and defining a PBF
> version for them, the question of the filename extenstions (suffixes) used for
> the different kinds of OSM files came up.
>
> Currently the following extensions are used for OSM files in XML format:
>
> .osm  -- for normal OSM files
> .osc  -- for "diff" OSM files
>
> The full history dumps on planet.openstreetmap.org also use the .osm extension.

In addition, .osc can be a "replication diff" (that contains all
intermediate versions, and thus possibly multiple versions of the same),
or it can be a plain diff that only pictures the difference between two
snapshots.

> Opinions? Ideas?

While you're at it, why not define a set of MIME types to go along.

Bye
Frederik