[OSM-dev] Filename extensions for OSM files

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Tue May 10 19:58:40 BST 2011

Am Dienstag, den 10.05.2011, 19:07 +0200 schrieb Jochen Topf:
> I would be relatively straightforward to use .osc.pbf and .osh.pbf for the
> (still to be specified) PBF versions of those files.
>
> Or we could remove that strangeness and use some other scheme:
> .bosm, .bosc, .bosh (b for binary) ?
> .pbf, .pbfc, .pbfh ?
>
> Opinions? Ideas?
I'd vote for not changing the well established .osm.pbf but rather live
with this strangeness. It's already written on dozends of wiki-pages and
in lots of applications. Thus I'd vote for .osc and .osc.pbf.

Frederik mentioned mime-types, I'd suggest (not knowing if I'd break any
convention using multiple + symbols):

application/x-osm+xml for .osm
application/x-osm+xml+bzip2 for .osm.bz2
application/x-osm+pbf for .osm.pbf

application/x-osh+xml for .osh
application/x-osh+xml+bzip2 for .osh.bz2
application/x-osh+pbf for .osh.pbf

application/x-osc+xml for .osc
application/x-osc+xml+bzip2 for .osc.bz2
application/x-osc+pbf for .osc.pbf

Peter