[OSM-dev] Filename extensions for OSM files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 11 12:42:09 BST 2011

Hi,

On 05/11/11 13:23, Peter Körner wrote:
> that way it is useful for a program to know, if a file fed into it via
> stdin will be processed fine right from the start. nobody likes
> processes that fail after 10 hours because of a missing
> --this-is-an-history-file flag.

Yeah, "fast failing" is probably the most useful effect of this. I've
written programs that relied on proper ordering and would either
explicitly fail or produce unexpected results at some time long into
processing the input; if there had been an option to make my program
fail unless you present it with sorted input, I might have used that.

Bye
Frederik