[OSM-dev] rails_port seg. fault

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sat May 21 17:21:50 BST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Jaroslaw Wozny
<jaroslaw_wozny at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> interesting. i've just done a test with the latest git code (e120e59)
>> and got no errors. unfortunately, my setup is different from yours:
>
> I have also the latest (head version e120e59).
>
>>> 187 tests, 2413 assertions, 3 failures, 0 errors
>
>> what's your log/test.log? are you using the postgres extensions in
>> db/functions/?
>
> Ok. I have installed extra functions for PG and no fails on tests. But I
> have still problem with seg fault. Problem is repeated by two independent
> people on Ubuntu 11.04 (two different machines). Import is performed by
> bulk_upload.py. :(
>
> Maybe something is specific in bulk_upload.py that shows problem during
> import? I don't know.

yes, it appears to be. i was able to reproduce both the segfault you
reported and the long-looked-for infinite loop bug, both with
bulk_upload.py! unfortunately, the segfault seems to be happening
because the libxml data structure is being reclaimed before the ruby
object wrapping it is dead, and it's very difficult to debug stuff
across that ruby/libxml interface.

however, there is good news: i've updated rails_port to use
libxml-ruby 2.0.5 and it seems much more robust - i haven't been able
to get it to segfault. it'll be in git master soon, but if you'd like
to try it out then a patch is attached. i'd like to know how you get
on with it and whether it has any problems.

cheers,

matt