[OSM-dev] GSoC Project Update (Fast Track Deployment of Customised OSM Tile Server)

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:09:48 BST 2011

On 26 May 2011 16:21, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:
> Hello Parveen,
>
> On 26.05.2011 05:03, Parveen Arora wrote:
>>

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fast_Track_Deployment_of_Customised_OSM_Tile_Server
>> Give your suggestions, comments and feedback or anything that you want
>> to add or delete from it or anything that you want to suggest from
>> your side will be welcomed.
>
> You could consider including a way to just run the server on an extract not
> only on a full planet.
>
> Your site names a few potential "users" of your project. I have the feeling
> that for most of them the hardware requirements would be too high.
> By serving only part of the world, for example just a single country the
> needed resources are a lot less than the figures mentioned in the wiki.

I did a howto the other day on what to do to render smaller areas, as
a test run I used the South American data file on Geofabrik in a
virtual machine and only 6G was used in total (world boundaries + osm
data etc).

http://wiki.sharedmap.org/wiki/Rendering_At_Home

The trick with small machines is to cache the tiles else where.