[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql output possible to work with Java XAPI?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 30 15:53:53 BST 2011

Hi,

On 05/30/11 16:43, Peter Körner wrote:
>> But since I already use osm2pgsql and since I'd like to maintain only
>> one database, it would be nice to attach Java XAPI to it.
>
> The databases are not compatible, it's not possible to run both tools on
> a single database.

Well... in "slim" mode, osm2pgsql already tracks all nodes and the
relationships between nodes, ways, and relations; it just does so in a
different way (using array columns instead of link tables). That part of
the "osm2pgsql schema" is not fundamentally different from the
"pgsnapshot schema"; in fact I believe it would not be too hard to make
osm2pgsql use the pgsnapshot schema for slim mode instead of its own
array tables. This would probably come at a slight speed penalty but
could be interesting for users like Stefan if they want a multi-purpose
database.

But yes - it is not a matter of "configuring" osm2pgsql, it would need
some decent coding.

Bye
Frederik