[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql output possible to work with Java XAPI?

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Mon May 30 16:04:18 BST 2011

Am 30.05.2011 16:53, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/30/11 16:43, Peter Körner wrote:
>>> But since I already use osm2pgsql and since I'd like to maintain only
>>> one database, it would be nice to attach Java XAPI to it.
>>
>> The databases are not compatible, it's not possible to run both tools on
>> a single database.
>
> Well... in "slim" mode, osm2pgsql already tracks all nodes and the
> relationships between nodes, ways, and relations; it just does so in a
> different way (using array columns instead of link tables). That part of
> the "osm2pgsql schema" is not fundamentally different from the
> "pgsnapshot schema";

osm2pgsql throws away all objects that don't have the right tags if you
don't use the hstore features and it don't store way-node and
relation-member information if you don't use slim-mode.

In general osm2pgsql is targeted at generating a smaller database that
fits exactly on rendering a style - not for serving an xapi-like query
service - although the one or the other might be tricked into working
with the other, they're not made for each other.

Peter