[OSM-dev] complying with google/bing/yahoo geocoding terms of service

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Oct 4 05:43:51 BST 2011

Nominatim is the standard way to do reverse geocoding. If you want to do
geocoding (telling you the name of where you are) I believe Komzpa on #osm
did some geocoding based on an osm2pgsql database.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Installation has details on
installing Nominatim. The usage policy on nominatim.openstreetmap.org is
located at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim_usage_policy

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim has more general information.

I believe MapQuest runs an instance at
http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/ too.

Geocoding is not an area I've been particularly interested in so I can't
comment on any difficulties or shortfalls with the tools.