[OSM-dev] complying with google/bing/yahoo geocoding terms of service

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:28:12 BST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> Nominatim is the standard way to do reverse geocoding.

Nominatim is good for both geocoding and reverse geocoding. It powers
both the search and the "Where am I" functions on the main site.

> If you want to do
> geocoding (telling you the name of where you are)

That's actually reverse geocoding. Geocoding is the process of
creating a "geocode" - i.e. lat/lon - for a given input string. Think
of it as "encoding". Reverse geocoding - aka decoding the geocode,
means you start with a lat/lon and you want to "decode" that into a
string.

If find neither term particularly self-explanatory, nor easy to
remember which is which!

Cheers,
Andy