[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Oct 4 11:23:35 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I tend to be against strict rules of any kind but when it comes to
> the question of what exactly a complex relation means I think it
> would be good to have one definition which every tool writer
> should aspire to implement.

I'd agree with your general point, but in the particular case of
multipolygons, it seems highly likely that these will be obsoleted by a
proper area type in API 0.7. The existing multipolygon type also seems to me
like a slightly uncomfortable bodge (albeit a necessary one at present) in
that relations are otherwise intended for metadata, not geometry.

So for the tools I contribute to, principally P2 and an upcoming Ruby PDF
renderer, I've taken a decision not to spend time on anything more than
rudimentary multipolygon support (one outer, tags on outer way), rather than
spending a month coding all-singing-all-dancing support and then have to
rewrite it when the area tag comes along. YMalmost certainlyV. :)

cheers
Richard