[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 4 14:22:27 BST 2011

Hi,

On 10/04/11 12:23, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> So for the tools I contribute to, principally P2 and an upcoming Ruby PDF
> renderer, I've taken a decision not to spend time on anything more than
> rudimentary multipolygon support (one outer, tags on outer way)

While multipolygons with more than one outer *ring* are uncommon,  those
with more than one outer *way* are heavily used where I live (typical
situation: forest bounded by road on one side, or indeed any kind of
boundary that is part of a mesh).

31% of all multipolygon relations world-wide have more than one "outer"
member, and 56% of all boundary relations do (but with boundaries it is
usual to just have an empty role, so in fact there will be more where
the outer ring comprises several ways).

And I always recommend that people put their tags on the relation, not
on the way - because I have a hunch that this is closer to a possible
future area type than asking people to tag the outer way.

Your call entirely of course. And now excuse me, I have to go back to
implementing all-singing-all-dancing multipolygon relation handlers that
become obsolete when we get API 0.7 ;)

Bye
Frederik