[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:20:22 BST 2011

2011/10/4 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> And I always recommend that people put their tags on the relation, not on
> the way - because I have a hunch that this is closer to a possible future
> area type than asking people to tag the outer way.

+1, interpreting the tags on an outer way as tags for a multipolygon
object is a hack (for historic reasons) and based only on guessing. If
this situation is to stay longer then just temporarily then it is
encouraging people to draw overlapping ways in many cases (one to
serve as outer way, and one for a linear feature or an area where you
don't want a hole to be cut). If we made a simple and clear rule that
tags on the relation are applying to the relation, and tags on the way
are applying to the way we would not have weird problems like the one
Andy gave with the waterway (actually thought we had this clear rule).

cheers,
Martin