[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Wed Oct 5 15:15:51 BST 2011

Hi Y'all,

I hope that Richard is right and the glorious future of area primitives
is coming...Viva La Revolución! :-)  In the meantime...

It seems to me that multipolygons represent a chicken & egg
problem...because the data quality issues are semantic (that is, you can
create legal OSM XML that is nonsensical when interpreted)...

- If there is weird tagging in the DB, the tools have to support weird
tagging.
- If the tools support weird tagging, users will continue to create
weird tags.

(By weird tags I mean any tagging scheme for a multipolygon that doesn't
put the data for the multipolygon _on_ the multipolygon. :-)

So I support Richard's notion of making Potlatch "more picky", even
though my own code (which strictly interprets the data, but does not
create new data) has to deal with all of the stuff that the map already
renders.  If a user is going to take the time to change the data, force
them to put the tags on the multipolygon itself..it'll make life better
for everyone in the long term.  Even the unambiguous uses of
tag-on-outer-way are ambiguous.

The one thing I wonder about: _if_ a large number of clients (including
the major maps) could all agree on a _limited_ definition for
"promoting" outer-way tags to a multipolygon, one that was less
forgiving, perhaps this would also encourage the community to not tag
data in ambiguous ways.

The tools I use to build X-Plane scenery currently promote _any_
outer-way tags to a multipolygon that doesn't have its own tags...this
is way too permissive, based on the comments others have posted to the list.

cheers
ben