[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Oct 5 15:33:03 BST 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 03:23:35AM -0700, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > I tend to be against strict rules of any kind but when it comes to
> > the question of what exactly a complex relation means I think it
> > would be good to have one definition which every tool writer
> > should aspire to implement.
>
> I'd agree with your general point, but in the particular case of
> multipolygons, it seems highly likely that these will be obsoleted by a
> proper area type in API 0.7. The existing multipolygon type also seems to me

Thats sounds rather optimistic to me. As far as I know everybody who has
thought about a proper area type has given up, because nobody could find a way
how it was to be implemented solving all the different design problems with it.
I know I sort of have. But I still hope somebody will sometime come up with a
brilliant plan, because I also do think that we need an area type.

Before we start this discussion here again. Please everybody have a look at the
wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Future_of_Areas) and read about
all the things people have already proposed and thought about.

Jochen