[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and only-named multipolygons

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Oct 5 16:20:10 BST 2011


Jochen Topf wrote:
> Thats sounds rather optimistic to me. As far as I know everybody who 
> has thought about a proper area type has given up, because nobody 
> could find a way how it was to be implemented solving all the different 
> design problems with it.

That sounds rather un-OSM-like to me. :) We've never been dissuaded from
solving 95% of the problems just because the remaining 5% are hard.

There's some good stuff on 'The Future of Areas' page. I could see either
'areas on nodes' or 'areas on ways' working. But we shouldn't get tied up
with an all-singing, all-dancing solution for the 5% (Lake Geneva or the
British coastline), if a simple solution exists for the 95% and a
coastline-like workaround can be found for the edge cases.

cheers
Richard



--
View this message in context: http://gis.638310.n2.nabble.com/osm2pgsql-and-only-named-multipolygons-tp6858105p6862551.html
Sent from the Developer Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



More information about the dev mailing list