[OSM-dev] osmo - Populate a MongoDB collection with OpenStreetMap data

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Sun Sep 11 21:31:34 BST 2011

Currently I have no app that is ready to show an example. Once the data is in Mongo, you can do a
lot with it with simple means since it's no SQL and you have all data in 1 collection. Example of my
consecutive tool chain that I use to make some experiments:
I use node.js and Christian Kvalheim's //https://github.com/christkv/node-mongodb-native to write
fast jobs for iteration over many objects since this is faster than Mongo's system functions and
better than Mongo's MapReduce because of the shared state. Writing jobs means to complete and adapt
data.
For more special tasks like map rendering you need to build your own separate index and tool chain.
It's up to you to build a performant index to serve your needs. osmo is just suited to give you fast
access by primary key.

Inspiration for osmo was Jochen Topf's osmium, but I wanted a small and cleaner code base focussed
only on database population.
Probably my data model could inspire a discussion about simplifying data models, too?