[OSM-dev] osmo - Populate a MongoDB collection with OpenStreetMap data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 13 20:12:04 BST 2011

Hi,

On 09/11/2011 10:31 PM, Andreas Kalsch wrote:
> Once the data
> is in Mongo, you can do a lot with it with simple means since it's no
> SQL

[...]

> osmo is just suited to give you fast access
> by primary key.

Maybe then using SQL would help ;)

I like to approach OSM projects in a result-oriented rather than
technology-oriented fashion. I'm not prepared to try out MongoDB just
because "it's no SQL"; but if someone could demonstrate that, for
example, they can load the whole planet into MongoDB on a single machine
in less than a day, effortlessly apply minutely updates and still have a
quick answer to queries like "give me all relations that have members in
this bounding box", then I'd be interested. Or, indeed, anything else
where MongoDB outperforms that which I currently use.

Are there any known examples like that?

> Probably my data model could inspire a discussion about simplifying data
> models, too?

Your code does not seem to properly support UTF-8 (it assumes that keys
and values cannot be longer than 256 bytes whereas a 256-character UTF-8
string can be over 1kb in size).

Bye
Frederik