[OSM-dev] CORS headers on OSM tiles (for WebGL use)

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:50:24 BST 2011

On 18 September 2011 21:54, Jaak Laineste <jaak.laineste at gmail.com> wrote:
>  For the webgl the key question for me is security. It is reported
> that WebGL has fundamental issues: allowing low-level access to
> graphics cards (which is needed for performance) allows for example
> writing one-line code which can bluescreen user's computer. This is
> why webgl is disabled in many browsers by default, and I see risk that
> certain mainstream browsers may decide not to support it at all.

I might be wrong, but I think the first 3d globe widget I saw
mentioned on osm diaries (can't find the entry now) was just 2D
canvas, no WebGL.  If done right it should be possible to write one
that still has bearble performance and uses no WebGL.  So that could
be used as a fallback.

(It was even possible with javascript + SVG before html5, although
much more tricky.)

Cheers