[OSM-dev] Duplicate IDs

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 23:30:38 BST 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Lukas Kabrt <lukas at kabrt.cz> wrote:

> Before I start fixing this error, it would be nice to know whether
> this is an exceptional case or whether these kind of integrity
> violations happens more often.
>
> Has anyone seen other elements with duplicate IDs? What is the best
> way to fix it in the database?

I'm going to assume from your name and your domain that English isn't
your first language, but I think it needs mentioning that stating that
this is an "integrity violation" is a bit offputting.

As others have mentioned (as well as the OSM documentation), IDs are
not guaranteed to be unique across element types, and so if your code
does, then this is simply a bad assumption on your part.

You may not have intended your mail to sound like you were blaming OSM
developers for being in error, but that's how it came off.

- Serge