[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk-be] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Fwd: FOSDEM calls for devroom organizers and main track speakers

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:23:43 BST 2012

I do think that some OSM projects would be interested in sharing such a
devroom

Both projects have similar concerns:

   - licensing of data
   - finding open data sources
   - motivating contributors

But there are also differences

Wikipedia has more conflicts, so they have more conflict-resolving tools
(like a complete anarchy of moderators). Wikipedia could give extra talks
about the "social" aspect of collecting data.

OSM data (in contrary to Wikipedia data) can't be used or edited without
special software. So we could ask for different software authors.

Having a mapping party could be interesting, although I doubt a lot of
people would join. There are so many interesting talks on FOSDEM, while you
can go out mapping at any time of the year.

Some subprojects we could talk about:

   - H.O.T. project: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hot
   - OSM editors: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor
   - Rendering OSM data:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rendering(probably small renderer
like Maperitive or Tilemill is better to talk
   about than the server-renderer Mapnik, with a workshop "render your own
   maps")
   - Routing software: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing Some of
   these routes have great algorithms, like Monav. It would also be
   interesting to discuss the parsing from plain OSM data to a routable graph:
   how are all those different tags implemented (maxweight, maxheight, speed
   restrictions, road classifications ... ) to calculate the optimal route
   - How to get OSM data on existing navigation devices:
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
   - OSM as offline data on your mobile device: A talk about an app as
   OsmAnd or Navit (which combines all the uses - rendering, routing and
   searching - in one app, on a general-purpose mobile device)

I think there would be talks enough (and will even have to cut in them) to
join a devroom.

Regards,
Sander