[OSM-dev] Announcing openstreetmap-carto v1.0 (and v2.0!)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Dec 6 15:54:10 GMT 2012

On 06/12/12 15:39, Alex Barth wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 7:43 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Version 1.0 is the complete re-implementation of the entire style in
>> CartoCSS, including all the features of the original layer. It is
>> pretty much pixel-for-pixel identical to the original style
>
> This is *amazing*. Can't wait to take this for a spin.
>
> This is a huge step for opening up the development process around the mapnik style. Have you thought about what is needed to get this deployed on OSM.org?

We discussed how to move this forward in the pub after the hacking on
Sunday and I think it's safe to say that everybody there was committed
to making it happen.

There is already a plan to do a major update on the tile server with an
update of the OS, a reload of the database and a mapnik update and my
suggestion was that we should aim to switch to the Carto generated style
at the same time. We just need to work out the detailed plan and
schedule the work.

One thing Andy did say was that he'd like other people to review what
he's done to make sure he hasn't introduced regressions - he is probably
best placed to explain how he envisions that working.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/