[OSM-dev] Announcing openstreetmap-carto v1.0 (and v2.0!)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:20:24 GMT 2012

On 6 December 2012 15:54, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> One thing Andy did say was that he'd like other people to review what he's
> done to make sure he hasn't introduced regressions - he is probably best
> placed to explain how he envisions that working.

There's two main things I'd like other people to review:

1) Performance. I'm interested to know how the generated XML compares
with the original in terms of tiles per second. Yevaud has plenty of
overhead, so long as there's not a substantial performance
degradation. Anyone who can test performance of the two stylesheets,
even only approximately using nik2img.py, would be doing a great
service.

2) Visual changes. I've spotted a few typos in the conversion as I
went along, but only for the places that I looked at (primarily London
and Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham). If we can set up the style and
get other people to check and compare against the current style, that
would be great. I expect in some of the less-common features (e.g.
highway construction, abandoned canals in tunnels) there could well be
one or two typos in the stylesheet, e.g. a casing is 1 pixel too wide
or a zoom level is off by one.

Of course, neither of them are blockers for deploying on the
tileserver, it's just more professional if we can fix them first,
rather than dealing with things later!

Cheers,
Andy