[OSM-dev] How to make osm2pgsql quiet?

Svavar Kjarrval svavar at kjarrval.is
Wed Dec 19 13:19:13 GMT 2012

Hi.

I was wondering what methods you use to make osm2pgsql be quiet when run
by crontab. It is very annoying to receive a everything-is-normal
message every time I run it. I run it from within a shellscript since I
need to execute other commands before and after it runs.

Internet search resulted in a github fork[1] where somebody implemented
a quiet support but hasn't been accepted into the main distribution. I
tried the -q, --quiet and --silent parameters. I also tried to stick '>
/dev/null' and '> /dev/null 2>&1' at the end of the osm2pgsql command
within the shellscript with no effect.

The only viable solution left, it seems, is to turn off e-mails from
crontab completely. However, I do have other processes which I need to
receive error messages from, including those within the shellscript.

What would you recommend?

[1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/7

- Svavar Kjarrval