[OSM-dev] producing historical snapshots for an area

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Feb 4 16:35:07 GMT 2012

Hi,

I want to create historical snapshots of small (county-sized) areas
from the full history planet for analysis purposes. Say, one file for
every three months since 2007. My current approach is to first create
the full planet snapshots from the full history planet using osmium,
and then creating the smaller files from that using osmhistorysplitter
(I'm thinking of using the hierarchical splitting feature to first
create state-sized files and county-sized files from that).

But: how hard would it be to adapt osmhistorysplitter to do this all
in one go? Or maybe there already is a smarter way to do this that I
don't know about. My C++ skills are all but nonexistant, but I'm not
afraid of python and only a little of perl.

Best
Martijn

--
martijn van exel