[OSM-dev] traces, export, download and update

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jan 5 16:06:33 GMT 2012

On 05/01/12 15:38, Peter Gervai wrote:

> I tried to did the homework and looked pretty hard which made me the
> impression that GPS traces are the orphans of OSM. They are hardly
> ever mentioned in the developers docs, they are not part of the
> architecture schema graphics and only a brief sentence informs us that
> it is not "yet" possible to have them in a dump.

I already have your email that you sent me last night, and would have
replied to it when I got a chance. You really don't need to keep
spamming every communication channel we have about this...

> Could someone be son kind as to update me about which parts of our
> architecture handle these traces, how do we store them? (I can read
> code, you can point me to a repository path, too.)

git.openstreetmap.org/rails.git

> I am familiar with their privacy status, basically they can or cannot
> be associated with someone, and they can or cannot provide timestamps.
> My guess that this could have been the primary reason dobody seemed to
> bother to create a dump of them.

No, the primary reason is that very few people want them, so even
thought the code to do it is largely written finding the time to
actually set it up and run it has been a low priority task.

> First, there should be a planet.trace.dump, really. It would be so
> good and I'd like to see what could I help, that's why I'm asking
> about the architecture. Obviosuly they have to be preprocessed to
> remove all the private and held back data first.

Yes, that's exactly what the code that has been written does.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/