[OSM-dev] mod_tile performance enhancements?

Jason Lee jaslee.st at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:32:29 GMT 2012

I am focusing and playing around with the METATILE parameter and get
performance of 1 tile request :-

METATILE(16) - 10 secs
METATILE(8) - 3.5 secs
METATILE(4) - 1.5 secs
METATILE(2) - 0.6 secs

So it seems the best performance for rendering a NEW TILE is to use the
minimum metatile size of 2 (default is 8). But, once it is cached, does
that mean a Metatile size of 2 is not as fast as a Metatile of 16 when
fetching a CACHED TILE or just that the disk storage is not so efficient?