[OSM-dev] helping #switch2osm

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Jan 12 23:14:13 GMT 2012

Kais Ubuntu tile server package is really easy to install (one serious
caveat there) I don't think it will get a lot simpler than that even
with substantially more work.

The install instructions are simple and work (again that caveat), what
is a bit lacking is post-install documentation (essentially mod_tile,
renderd and osm2pgsql).

The big caveat I have is not specific to Kais package, it is the general
issue that we have no release engineering/testing for a  number of  our
tools. This bites particularly hard when something is supposed to be
plug and play and you are not aware that you are essentially just
running the latest development version with a couple of changes that
might work.

If we really want to make things easier for third parties we are not
going to get around having substantially more discipline in our software
release procedures (and having such in the first place).

Simon