[OSM-dev] helping #switch2osm

Matthias Meißer digi_c at arcor.de
Tue Jan 17 13:23:22 GMT 2012

Am 17.01.2012 12:53, schrieb Jukka Rahkonen:
> About 80% of people seem to use Windows and OSM does not offer much for
> them so I desided to make Super Easy WMS as a Windows installation
> package. Linux users do not need to get angry, it is possible to install
> Apache and Mapserver on Linux and take just the data and mapfiles from the
> package and after some mapfile editing for fixing the paths to the data
> the services will work similarly.
> I know that Mapnik has a steady position as the official OSM renderer but
> while waiting for an easy Switch2osm installer, read about Super Easy WMS
> server at http://latuviitta.org/documents/Super_easy_WMS_server.pdf
> The introduction package is downloadable at
> http://hip.latuviitta.org/tiedostot/Latuviitan_superhelppo_WMS_OSM_versio.zip
> (226 MB)
> The package is rather big because it includes the Geofabrik shapefiles
> from Finland. After installation there will be three WMS services
> available and WMS clients will find them from the following addresses
> http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/osm_maps/osm_wms.map
> http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/Geofabrik_shapes_maps/osm_wms.map
> http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/Suomi_shapes_maps/osm_wms.map

Sounds great and remembers me to the OSGeo4W Installer

Can we provide a documentation, in the wiki please? As it's the most
central place and allows everybody to fix/alter/translate/... the text?
And it could be easily linked within the other wiki pages

As I read, easy to deploy packages (right versions and so on) are one of
the most caveeats for a Rendering-stack. Do we have people with
experience in linux package bundling or should we contact the different
distros for help?