[OSM-dev] SVG maps and web browsers (was: Re: "Retina" tiles - best way to support them?)

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:12:43 BST 2012

SVG has several problems:

   1. It's a general-purpose graphics format. It allows a lot of things,
   but that comes with a cost - implementing and maintaining a SVG rendering
   engine is difficult, making it efficient is even more so.
   2. Although SVG is supposed to be a standard, not everyone implements
   its renderers (or converters) the same way. Adobe's implementation is
   particularly buggy & non-compliant (see
   http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/maperitive-vs-adobe-illustrator). Oh
   yes, and _very_ slow, especially if you want to have high-precision text
   positioning on a per-letter basis (see
   http://maperitive.net/docs/manual/Commands/ExportSvg.html#Precision%20Typography)
   - this is why Maperitive SVG sample you tried is so slow.
   3. You're stuck with existing implementations of rendering engines.
   Writing your own would be a mammoth (and wasteful) effort, because of the
   point #1.

SVG comes in handy when you want to have a map that can be imported as a
vector drawing into desktop publishing software (Illustrator, Inkscape
etc). For rendering maps on the fly on mobile devices, I'd recommend using
a native renderer or HTML5.

Igor