[OSM-dev] Implementing usability improvements

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jul 4 10:45:56 BST 2012

On 04/07/12 10:19, Paweł Paprota wrote:

> I think a lot of things can be improved in terms of the OSM project
> front page usability to bring it more on par with similar offerings
> (Google Maps, Bing Maps). Some of them are listed and tracked in [1],
> true, but I am slightly confused on what is the general direction. Is it
> OK to just start hacking on the website project in github or is there
> some major overhaul coming up and it's better to wait/focus on other
> stuff?

Well the rails-dev list is where such stuff is mostly discussed so
joining that would be a good start.

We were also having weekly IRC meetings on a Monday, but those seem to
have stopped happening recently - we should probably revive them.

Enhancements are of course welcome, and pull requests on github are fine
as a way of proposing a change.

The only note of caution I would sound, is that we are not trying to be
a clone of Google Maps or Bing so be careful about trying to slavishly
copy features from those sites - we are not trying to provide an all
powerful end user mapping site but rather we are just trying to provide
a visualisation of our data and tools to help people use it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/