[OSM-dev] Implementing usability improvements

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 4 10:56:34 BST 2012

Hi Frederik,

Thanks for the response. By "on par with Google/Bing Maps" I meant more
polished, usable. Right now I feel that there is a long wishlist for the
front page - and not only that  but also openstreetmap.org in general -
user pages, history etc. Maybe I am alone in this but I think it lacks
consistent design and well it is not "pretty". I am no artist or web
designer of course but I think if there was a person who could do some
mock ups then it would be great to work with that. I have seen pull
requests for user pages for example on github - not sure what is the
process with incorporating such big changes though...

As for the general direction - I do not have any specific vision in mind
for the openstreetmap.org website yet - I think a designer would be best
suitable to come up with one but for sure I think there should be a map
and also it should be more interactive - I think user should be able to
click on POI's for example...

I have found a blog post [1] that has some interesting ideas on how to
improve user experience and to make the website more engaging to the
user.

As you can see it is very random right now but with some pointers and
interest (especially on the design side of things...) maybe we can do
something.

Paweł