[OSM-dev] OSRM has Alternative Routes

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Jul 10 16:12:20 BST 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Dennis Luxen <dennis.luxen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are very proud to announce the latest features that arrived at Open
> Source Routing Machine (OSRM). First and foremost, the engine does not
> only compute a shortest (i.e. fastest) path, but also gives an
> alternative path that obeys to certain quality criteria.

Great work, I'm impressed (again) at the speed of this, and thank you
for the global coverage! However, it seems a bit too conservative
about showing alternate routes, as I was only given one alternate
after trying dozens of end points. Another suggestion: I've been
fastidious in adding route numbers to all roads, including residential
roads, and the OSRM directions only show this route number; perhaps
you could show both the route number and the name?

Thanks,
-josh