[OSM-dev] Licence redaction ready to begin

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jul 10 20:32:34 BST 2012

Hi Paul,

We discussed this tonight at LWG
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1W7eh17a7cEUilpbictKYnWJfHoxIcA1W_tPEmqvmDkc
item 5

We do not think temporary dual-licensing is particularly practical or
necessary provided that we allow consumers reasonable time to make their
attribution string changes. We are happy to re-visit this if there is
any strong reason we are not seeing.

Mike
LWG

/>/  Subject: [OSM-dev] Licence redaction ready to begin
/>/
/>/  Once it is complete, we will be ready to distribute data under the ODbL
/>/  and we'll advise of that with a separate announcement. The final pre-
/>/  redaction dataset available under CC-BY-SA has now been generated at
/>/  http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-120704.osm.bz2  . Where data has
/>/  been redacted, any attempt to access it from the API or the site's
/>/  'browse' pages will return a response to that effect.
/
To transition from tiles derived from a CC BY-SA source to tiles derived
from a ODbL source will require changing the attribution and regenerating
all tiles so that CC BY-SA data is not mis-represented as being ODbL data.
What time period will data be available under dual licenses so that tile
servers will not have to reload their database then immediately delete every
cached tile when changing their attribution?

When I discussed this with Frederik awhile back I suggested publishing the
first post-redaction planet as dual-licensed as well as one week of diffs to
allow tile servers to continue to serve old CC BY-SA tiles and re-render
over the course of a week.

At the very least I would suggest distributing the first post-redaction
planet as dual-licensed for the simple reason that all the information to
create it will be available as CC BY-SA.