[OSM-dev] Attribution string (was: Licence redaction ready to begin)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Jul 10 20:38:44 BST 2012

I've been wondering if it would be possible to put a fixed URL on the
tile and/or API servers that application programs could fetch to
retrieve the current attribution string for that particular tile
server?  Something like 0/0/0.txt or some-such that we could simply code
into the tile-based clients to fetch the desired string instead of
coding it directly in the clients?

Since we all have to go in and change the attribution anyway, now might
be a really good time to make it a fetchable string.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS.  I'm proposing a plain text string that can then be integrated into
a client display here.  Another fixed URL per tile server could provide
the reference URL string so that said applications can make the text
attribution a link going there.