[OSM-dev] Attribution string (was: Licence redaction ready to begin)

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:12:02 BST 2012

On 07/10/2012 01:38 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> I've been wondering if it would be possible to put a fixed URL on the
> tile and/or API servers that application programs could fetch to
> retrieve the current attribution string for that particular tile
> server?  Something like 0/0/0.txt or some-such that we could simply
> code into the tile-based clients to fetch the desired string instead
> of coding it directly in the clients?
I think this sounds like a good idea. Rather than 0/0/0.txt, I would use
a name like attribution.txt or license.txt in the base directory of the
tile style. It allows for different attribution for different styles on
the same server while still having a meaningful name.

In addition I would suggest to add an attribution.html that has the
attribution string as a html snippet with the correct hyperlink to the
license and contributors.

If people think this is useful, I could add this to mod_tile to help
standardize the attribution URL.

Kai