[OSM-dev] Building a friendly new editor in JavaScript

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 13 23:27:47 BST 2012

Hi Richard,

Great idea.

I have a quick thought performance/usability-wise - when there is a lot
of objects to render (like buildings in a large city), Potlach and JOSM
really struggle. I guess it's not a big problem since those editors are
for more "patient" users - geeks :-)

I wonder if for such a basic/welcoming editor it would be good to
consider performance as a factor. Solution from Google Map Maker looks
good at a glance (I have not used it too much) - you have to select a
small area to work with so at any given time the number of objects shown
does not degrade responsiveness.

Paweł