[OSM-dev] Server-side data validation

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 16 12:06:33 BST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 11:07, David Earl wrote:
> Yes, it was just an idea. Without buy in for this or something similar,
> it won't make progress. It would be easy to implement at the server
> side. I had intended to do a prototype, but I ended up with a large
> contract to do something else after SOTM 2010 so I wasn't in a position
> to. But it won't work as an adjunct - it has to be part of the system
> and in particular share the same credentials.
>
> My thought re the wiki page was that that or equivalent would be
> generated automatically from the schema, a bit like tag watch is done,
> only a more friendly presentation and, because definitions would be
> stored (and in multiple languages), more descriptively.

Tag Central could greatly improve many things but having had some
discussions on the topic on IRC I see it's a very delicate topic. On top
of that there is the redaction process going on.

For now I have started some work in different area just to familiarize
myself with the code but this "server-side validation" or Tag Central
stuff - that's definitely something I would be interested in. When I am
done with some of the UI work, I would love to get back to it, resume
the discussion, maybe work on a prototype.

If you have any ideas on how to approach it or need help with some
ongoing work around this topic, feel free to contact me.

Paweł