[OSM-dev] FW: OSM Stack Question

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 24 15:35:43 BST 2012

Hi,

On 07/24/2012 03:51 PM, m.luchak at smartasking.com wrote:
> server1: Mapnik tile server
> server2: Nominatim geocode server
> server3: OSRM routing server

Probably. All three will have their own OSM database and you will have
to think about how to update data on all three separately.

> Server3 will be my main interface and will reference server1 for tiles
> and server2 for lookup for geocoding and reverse geocoding. OR server1
> will be my main interface referencing the other servers.

The "main interface" will just be a little Javascript and that could
reside anywhere, even on a lightweight fourth server.

> I am unsure
> if I will need all three of these elements as I believe that Nominatim
> encapsulates a mapnik server..

No, it doesn't. Nominatim's database is created with osm2pgsql just like
that of the Mapnik tiles server but using a different table layout. So
you really need all three.

There's ImpOSM, an alternative to osm2pgsql for tile servers, which has
an accompanying product called ImpOSM geocoder, and the promise is that
you can run geocoding *and* Mapnik tile creation off of the same
database. This would reduce your server count by 1. However you'd need a
map style that works with ImpOSM's output (or tweak ImpOSM's config to
generate osm2pgsql-style output). Also, ImpOSM does not currently
support incremental updates.

Bye
Frederik