[OSM-dev] FW: OSM Stack Question

m.luchak at smartasking.com m.luchak at smartasking.com
Tue Jul 24 14:51:40 BST 2012

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can help with a basic stack question for a project of mine.  I would like to implement (host on AWS (Ubuntu 11)) the following using OSM and derivatives:

A mapserver that can display realtime routes based on addresses, current lat and long,  and  placenames ("Grand Canyon").

I have been playing with:
Mapnik - installed and running tile server
Nominatim: installed without wikipedia bin
OSRM: starting to look at this now

My question is about the stack that I will need to run my service.  Does the following seem correct?

server1: Mapnik tile server
server2: Nominatim geocode server
server3: OSRM routing server

Server3 will be my main interface and will reference server1 for tiles and server2 for lookup for geocoding and reverse geocoding. OR server1 will be my main interface referencing the other servers.   I am unsure if I will need all three of these elements as I believe that Nominatim encapsulates a mapnik server..

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Matthew