[OSM-dev] Rendering Chain Issue

Richard Ive richard.ive at metafour.com
Tue Jun 19 14:45:16 BST 2012

Hi All,

I have a Postgresql -> Mapnik - > Tirex -> Mod_Tile - > OpenLayers tile
rendering chain set up, but unfortunately I'm having an issue somewhere
along the line that I can't solve without help.

As I am using tirex I ran a batch render from 0 down to zoom 12 to try and
take some of the initial load off the server once it goes live. Once it had
finished I did a quick pan round the map starting in London and I found the
issue you can see below in my first screen shot. This section of map
refuses to render. It is a rectangle with its left edge running along GMT
down to the south of France and to the north of Scotland. Unfortunately
though I cannot find it's right edge because as soon as any tile in this
section is requested a block appears to happen for a good two minutes or so
somewhere along the rendering chain forcing it to hang. Mod_tile doesn't
serve any tiles, even at other zoom levels, and it doesn't send any new
rendering requests to tirex.

In my second screen shot you can see the two tiles that get requested just
before the freeze. I can consistently make this happen and resolve the hang
by restarting Tirex, which would suggest the problem is there, however
looking through all the logs I don't see anything related to this issue.

When I ran osm2pgsql on my database server I did receive a
few TopologyExceptions, however the process ran though fine and the rest of
the map appears to render. I have attached the output from osm2pgsql for
you to look at.

I'd really appreciate any help. It may be that I'm just being silly, so
please let me know if I am! If you want to replicate the problem yourself
here's the URL to my tile server:  http://maptiles.cust.m4.net/

Kind Regards,
Richard Ive

*Screen Shot Links*
*
*
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7335948_4491111_717012

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7335948_4491111_717028

*OSM2PGSQL Log*

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7335948_4491111_717022

--
Richard Ive •  Metafour UK Ltd  •  2 Berghem Mews, London W14 0HN  •
registered in England: 01528556