[OSM-dev] Rendering Chain Issue

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 19 15:52:29 BST 2012

Hi,

On 06/19/2012 03:45 PM, Richard Ive wrote:
> In my second screen shot you can see the two tiles that get requested
> just before the freeze. I can consistently make this happen and resolve
> the hang by restarting Tirex, which would suggest the problem is there,
> however looking through all the logs I don't see anything related to
> this issue.

If a Tirex render process dies - something that you would see in the
"daemon" syslog - then the effect is that tirex-master still lists the
request as being rendered but there will be no "mapnik" process in the
system that claims to be rendering this job. If this happens often
enough, the Tirex queue will be full. Look at tirex-status and compare
the list of tiles being rendered with the list of "mapnik" processes. If
processes are indeed dying, activate verbose=true in the Tirex config
and try to find out; it might well be a funny Mapnik exception (albeit
unlikely that something breaks a whole column of tiles).

Bye
Frederik